Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hamburger Soup

This is one of our favorite soups for winter time. I remember my mom making this a lot in winter when I was growing up and it was always a hit, so much so that I remember several times requesting to have it in a thermos in my lunch the next day! I kind of forgot about it for awhile pre-kids and then I remember asking my mom for the recipe for it and she gave me the cookbook it was in. It was an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (she had a series of these that each slim volume was something different, Poultry, Italian, Chocolate, Cakes and Cookies{those last two were my favorite!})  and this recipe was in one appropriately called Soups and Stews. I remember reading through the recipe the first time cause I couldn't believe how short the recipe looked and I quickly realized why my mom made it so often in winter, It's so easy! It's also easily adaptable and freezable and it serves 6 full bowls (I grew up in a family of six) So without further adieu I give you Hamburger Soup.



Hamburger Soup

1 pound lean ground beef (preferably grass-fed pastured, or you can use ground bison or venison etc)
1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup pearl barley (omit for paleo version and substitute with extra veggies in recipe)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp instant beef bouillon granules (I substitute gluten free Worcestershire sauce for paleo friendly)
2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 bay leaf

In large saucepan cook ground beef till browned. Drain off fat. Stir in remaining ingredients and 5 cups water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf. Serves 6.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...