Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Making Bread

         Yesterday, Cadence and I made some homemade bread together and it was sooooo yummy! I love everything about homemade bread, the relaxing monotony of kneading, the yeasty smell of the dough rising,  the heavenly smell of it baking in the oven, and, of course, the delicious taste of it fresh out of the oven with a dollop of butter. Mmmmmmm...




     I have always loved making bread, but I've  been pretty sporadic about doing it. Then, last summer, I read Independence Days by Sharon Astyk, and I decided that I wanted to commit myself to only making homemade bread and not buying any. And so far so good, from September till now I think I have bought a loaf of  bread only three times! And you know what? Besides the obvious benefit of fresh, healthy (I only make whole wheat) homemade bread that my family loves, it has helped cut down our grocery bill, and it reduces our plastic consumption. Such a simple thing has so many benefits!
      
     Now, don't get me wrong, I don't always have the time or inclination to make it by hand so I do have a bread machine. I set that baby up to run at night when we're all sleeping so that we wake to the yummy smell and taste of fresh bread in the morning.

       The recipe I use when I DO make it by hand, I got from the book I mentioned above called Independence Days (ordered it from amazon.ca) and it is so super easy and only has six ingredients, ww flour, salt, water, yeast, honey,and oil. I buy all the ingredients in bulk (which helps our grocery bill) and I buy as much as I can locally (which helps our environment).
    
     What are some things that you enjoy making from scratch? What are some ways you are helping the environment or cutting down your costs of living? Leave a comment below and let me know!

    P.S. One thing that keeps me motivated is comments like this from Nyla last night (she is my pickiest eater) "Mommy, can you always make homemade bread? It tastes sooooo much better than the kinds at the store and I like smelling it cooking when I get home from school."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...