Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Back to school organizing

So, while we still have two more weeks of summer, (kids don't go back till Sept. 3) there has been lots of school talk around here and a bunch of back to school shopping!






      Usually my way of getting through school shopping is to slink off late in the evening and get it all done or last year I did it when I was visiting relatives away from the kids. But this year was different. I can't remember where I got the idea from, but I decided I wanted to try having a "mom date" with each of our kids and take them one at a time to get their needed supplies and then out for lunch. So, that's what we did! With the help of some lovely grandparents who took care of the other two kids while I brought each one with me. And you know what? We had a blast! I can't tell you how much it warmed my heart to hear each one say, "Mom, this is the best day ever!" 
    When I took Nyla (10, almost 11) she took the list and found all the items and I just had to stand back and watch and sometimes guide her towards the less expensive options. She is getting so grown up! I can't believe she is going to be in middle school this year! Ack! Where did the time go?!?!
     Anyways, with the younger two I held the list and read out what was needed and they searched for it kids like a little treasure hunt.  I was also reminded of what a little fashionista our little Cady is when we looked for shoes as she wanted to try on every shoe in the store in her size!! Plus, the shoes she ended up getting were the most colourful, most sparkly high tops she could find (hers are the ones on the far right in the top picture)
     I've also been working on getting myself organized as I know the kids feel more settled if they know mom's organized, so I've got my new calendar for the year ( I like this one as it has large spaces to write things, I also like that I can start it in August and write down all the next school year info before school starts rather than try and do it all in January when I have no brain after all the holiday hoopla) and also getting lunch making paraphernalia all organized. But that is a post for another day...        :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...